This article provides some hints and tips for all teachers supporting students to help them keep data safe while using HegartyMaths. For more detailed information please see the related article at the bottom entitled "How does HegartyMaths use personal information and keep it safe?"
Security: student accounts
HegartyMaths takes the security of personal information seriously. There are also some practical ways in which teachers can help students to keep their personal information protected too:
- Remind your students regularly about the importance of account security.
- Only the named student on the account should access HegartyMaths.
- Passwords should not be stored on shared computers.
- Encourage students to log out of their accounts when they are finished. As a security measure, HegartyMaths will automatically log students out of their accounts after an hour of inactivity.
- Students will choose their own password after their first login. We would encourage them to make their password easily memorable, a minimum of 8 characters in length, and to make it alphanumeric.
Student accounts can be reset by a teacher if necessary - for example, if the account has been accessed by another pupil.
Security: teacher accounts
Teacher accounts on HegartyMaths allow teachers to access student accounts, and as such provides access to high volumes of personal information.
There are steps you can take to keep the personal information you access via HegartyMaths, secure:
- Your password will need to be a minimum of 8 alphanumeric characters. Choose a password that is hard to guess (e.g. avoid using obvious passwords such as Password1)
- Keep your password secure and do not share your HegartyMaths password with anyone.
- Create an account for each teacher that uses HegartyMaths rather than allow shared access to accounts. This is still important for short-term use like student or supply teachers.
- Teachers logged in as themselves can easily monitor or mark work for a class assigned to another teacher if required, see our video on Using the mark work page
- Make sure that when teachers are added to HegartyMaths it is done so with their school email address rather than a personal email address.
- Make sure the devices you use to access your account (including any personal devices) are password protected. If you use a shared device, ensure your HegartyMaths password is not automatically saved.
- Log out of your HegartyMaths account or lock your device screen when you are not using it or are leaving the device unattended.
- Keep the ‘Manage Teacher’ page up to date. When a teacher is no longer using HegartyMaths be sure to remove their access and keep a regular eye on this page to ensure that only names that you would expect appear here. For further assistance with this please see the related article at the bottom of this page.
To protect personal information, HegartyMaths will always act with caution.
If we suspect a teacher account from your school has been compromised we will suspend access and inform the Data Protection Officer and the Primary Contact. Access can be reinstated if either of the above contacts requests this.
If a teacher has contacted us via the HELP button or via firstname.lastname@example.org and is using an email address not registered to their HegartyMaths account we will not be able to share any information relating to the school’s HegartyMaths account or the students or teachers within the school. As such, please use registered school email accounts for correspondence with HegartyMaths.