The information in this article only applies to schools that do not have MIS integration. If there is a "Sync with MIS" button on your manage students page, the transition will be taken care of the next time you sync.
If you need to do an end of year transition to move students into their new classes and register a new intake of students into the site, follow the guide below.
Note: it is vital that your data is accurate when you perform this action. HegartyMaths cannot guarantee support to fix lost data in the event that student details are inaccurate on our site.
Please refer to the following video if you need help getting data from SIMs into a compatible CSV.
End of Year Transition
For this guide, we will be looking at an example school which at present has one class. Year 7 students are moving to Year 8. There will also be an intake of new Year 7 students which we will put into the 7Ma/3 class.
The current students in the school in Year 7 are as follows:
1. Use SIMs (or your school's MIS) to prepare a CSV document that captures the state of the school in the new academic year. Current students will have moved up to their new classes and there will be a fresh intake of your youngest year (e.g. Year 7). Please use this CSV template.
Please note, class size is limited to 45 students.
As you can see from this CSV, our school is welcoming Natalie, Freddy, and Yoshi into Year 7. Existing students were moved up to Year 8. Morgan Mole also had a legal name change to Morgan French - our system will detect this automatically.
2. Click Manage => Manage students/classes => Upload CSV.
3. Click on the circle to pick your CSV, once picked, click continue to proceed to the next step.
4. Click on the first dropdown menu ("Please select...") and choose the option that corresponds to the column.
In the example below the first column is the class name. Please note this will not necessarily be the same for your data so take extra care to pick the option that applies to you.
5. Repeat step 5 for all the columns and click continue when you are finished.
If you get a column wrong, you can fix the mistake by clicking the 'Unlock' button and then selecting the appropriate option in the dropdown.
6. The system tries to automatically match new students to existing students, however, you may need to help the system in some cases. For Morgan, we need to manually match him because of the change in his surname.
8. On the archive classes page, you are asked to pick old classes that will no longer be running. In this case, last year's Year 7 class (7Ma/2) should be ticked. This does not affect the incoming Year 7 class, which will be a fresh class.
9. Finally, verify the data looks correct and enter your password. Click 'Complete setup' to finalise the changes. If the data looks incorrect please do not complete the setup.